Holiday Hazards for Pets

The holiday season is a time that extra precautions need to taken to avoid potential dangers for our pets. These dangers include, but are not limited to the following:

Desiccant Gel Packs

  • They are found in shoeboxes, electronics, medication bottles, and some foods.
  • Ingestion produces mild vomiting and diarrhea.

Christmas Tree Preservative

  • The sugar in the mixture entices pets to drink the liquid.
  • Ingestion rarely causes severe symptoms, but may produce mild vomiting and diarrhea.
  • The signs are more severe when the liquid is contaminated with bacteria or fungi.

Christmas Trees

  • Ingestion of the needles may cause vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain and depression.

Poinsettia

  • Eating large amounts of the plant will cause mild vomiting.
  • Treatment is usually not required.

Holly

  • All parts of the plant are toxic.
  • Eating the plant causes vomiting, diarrhea and depression.

Mistletoe

  • Ingestion of just a few leaves or berries produces a mild upset stomach.
  • Eating a large amount causes more severe vomiting, diarrhea and heart issues.

Lily

  • Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, Day lilies, Asian lilies, Japanese Snow, and others
  • Chewing on a single leaf can lead to kidney failure.
  • Consider all exposures as potentially life-threatening.

Ethanol

  • Small dogs and cats are more sensitive to ethanol than humans.
  • They are attracted to mixed drinks containing milk, cream, or ice cream.
  • Ethanol is rapidly absorbed and can cause signs within 30-60 minutes after ingestion.
  • Clinical signs include vomiting, ataxia and disorientation.
  • Large amounts lead to coma, seizures and even death.

Chocolate

  • Toxicity causes hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors and potential death.
  • The amount of toxin present in chocolate depends on the type.
  • The more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic.
  • Unsweetened baking chocolate contains 6 times more toxin than milk chocolate.
  • White chocolate contains negligible amounts.

Ribbon, Tinsel and String

  • Puppies and kittens are attracted to these items.
  • When swallowed, the body tries to move the string or ribbon through the intestine. The intestine tends to “bunch up” along the linear object.
  • The constant movement of the intestine produces a “sawing” action. This eventually leads to perforation of the bowel.
  • This is a life-threatening condition requiring surgery.

Electrical Cords

  • Puppies and kittens are tempted to play with and chew on electrical cords.
  • When a pet bites through an electrical cord, severe burns to the tongue and mouth may occur.
  • Damage to the area around the heart can also occur causing the pet’s lung to fill with fluid. This leads to difficulty in breathing.
  • These are emergency situations requiring immediate veterinary attention.

Miscellaneous

Some other potentially toxic or dangerous items to keep away from your pets include:

  • Onions
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Rising bread dough
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Tobacco
  • Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum)
  • Bones
  • Candles
  • Ornaments
  • Batteries
  • Potpourris
  • Medications
  • Anti-freeze
  • Ice melting products
  • Rodent poisons
  • Stress of having visitors

In the News

Location Hours
Monday9:00am – 5:00pm
Tuesday9:00am – 5:00pm
Wednesday9:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday9:00am – 5:00pm
Friday9:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday9:00am – 12:00pm
SundayClosed

We are closed the following holidays: New Years Day - Memorial Day - Independence Day - Labor Day - Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day

Location